Sunday, March 13, 2011

In Memory of Dora

This is a little over due (as Jill has been in my life for over a month now) but it's still not too late to give recognition where needed. At the end of December, my beloved Dora the Explorer left car life to the eternal life (I guess that's the junkyard for cars). For over a month, my amazing boyfriend not only drove me to and from work everyday, let me borrow his car when I had make-up jobs, drove me to different car lots to shop for a new car, he also went with me when I purchased my new car. It was one of the most adult moments I've had so far (first one was when I was 19 and trapped in Salt Lake City on a buddy pass flight). Much recognition to Jon as well for enduring my time of "crisis" -- in LA it's a "crisis" if you don't have a car.

My new car is Jill (Jon's car is Jack). Jill is a fully loaded 2011 Jetta. I did the negotiating and I wrote the check! And I adore her!



Paying recognition to where it is deserved, here is the eulogy of Dora the Explorer.


In memory of Dora --

During her life on the east coast, she spent many college years driving up and down I-85 decked out in Auburn attire (flags, shakers, a tail and window paint -- my personal fav was "24-6 How bout them dawgs now?"). She got to drive on the sand in Daytona Beach when she was a child. Her biggest accomplishment was moving me in and out of 7 different locations over the past 8 years. She especially recalls the last move from Auburn with Brittany playing the maracas in the front seat at 8am. I remember seeing her in the car lot with my dad and then the day she arrived (March 15) when she pulled up in the cul-de-sac on Hunters Lodge Road. I saw her out my bedroom window, what a beauty she was.

She got to travel so far west to see the sunsets on the PCH. She got as far south as San Diego and as far north as Oxnard. We're not really sure what she saw during her cross country tow trip, but we can assume many cows and the hispanic driver sleeping in the back seat. She arrived in Hollywood at rush hour on a Thursday afternoon and was delivered under a bridge. Her fondest memories in LA involve opening up her back and serving as a make-up station -- her favorite set was just this past year in Topanga, where she got to demonstrate her 4W drive skills up to the mountain set, and after needed 3 car washes to shed the mud, sweat and tears.

Oh Dora, what fond memories you will always bring me. Every time I select a personal security question to log into an account, you bet it'll be "Make/Model of your first car." Rest In Peace Dora. If you reincarnate back to me, please come in as a BMW 3 Series. God Bless. Amen.

No comments: