Saturday, September 4, 2010

Game Day In "The Loveliest Village On The Plains"

This morning as I was prepping my kit and washing my brushes, my blackberry chimed. It was an email from my personal account (each account has a different chime). I took a moment to reach over my mess of products and grab it, and what a moment it was -- a very charming, heart warming email from my dear friend Brittany.

Brittany and I have been best friends since we were kids. Some of my fondest memories with her include high school homeroom, choir ... and Auburn football.

This weekend marks the beginning of "that time of year." My dad has been counting down the days since January 8. I admit, as much as I love L.A. and know that I'm in the right place, my heart yearns for the South during the fall. There's nothing like college football (SEC of course). I was truly blessed to be a part of the Auburn family. What an experience it all was, and the memories will stay close to my heart throughout my life.

For this post, I have a guest blogger. I'd like to share Brittany's email -- the subject line entitled "Memories." As I go about my day, prepping for a weekend on-set, I will take moments to remember "War Eagle!"

"I was driving into work this morning with the sunroof open and windows cracked half way listening to my new fav CD thinking what a nice morning it was out. The weather was cool and the sun was warm. As I drove down the highway I kept seeing cars with college flags attached to the windows. It was only a few years or so ago that we'd be waking up in Auburn, slightly hung over from the Friday night before. Oh how excited we would be to get dressed in our perfect orange and blue game day outfit with matching Auburn accessories. This was the day we lived for, FOOTBALL!! And of course, tailgating. I remember worrying about saving parking spots and moving cars around, where the boys were at, and bringing everything we might need for the day.

The best part of the morning was finding your parents; they had food. Magic cookie bars, pasta salad, and layered dips were among my favorites and always made for a great breakfast. The day would continue with friends, more food and beer. Toomers Lemonade, burgers, Jimmy Johns and Amsterdam Cafe were always a game day treat! Okay I wish I was there now for some food. I remember not having any inhibitions hardly. We were carefree and felt safe amongst thousands of strangers. Getting tispy was our mission throughout the day as well as finding the boys -- being in public underage was never a concern.

Tiger Walk was the start of the game festivities, the excitement in the air would increase. Soon we would file into the stadium for the BEST part of every game, watching the Eagle fly. It still gives me chills thinking about it seeing the bird. It was so surreal at the time. Singing the fight song, pumping our shakers to the beat so hard the tassels would be falling out, and cheering like crazy are some of my best memories.

I think about it now as I'm at work with no ESPN to even have the sounds of crowds cheering and bands playing familiar fight songs. I miss those days. However, I don't necessarily want to be there today. Young drunk kids being obnoxious, stupid college boys, and the feeling of being "old." It's not where I'm at anymore. I do wish I could be 19 again, just for game day and to relive those good times.

As you go about your day, remember WAR EAGLE! and the fun years we had :) Happy SEC Game Day!!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:) thanks Heather! I felt my inner writer come out this morning.